BRUSSELS - Voicing concern about tax evasion that is estimated at one trillion euros, European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso said Tuesday that EU leaders will meet at a one-day summit on Wednesday to negotiate solution. The European Union can't afford to let tax evasion go on the way it is. Such large amounts of money, currently sitting in tax havens, would be greatly beneficial ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
NEW YORK - Pharma major Pfizer has discontinued the development of cancer candidate inotuzumab ozogamicin, which is part of a class of therapies called antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), in the haematological cancer non-Hodgkin lymphoma after it failed to show benefit in overall survival during phase III trials. Pfizer has notified the study investigators and appropriate regulatory authorities ...
WASHINGTON - GrubHub Inc. and Seamless North America LLC, two of the biggest online services for food-delivery in the U.S., have entered into a definitive agreement to combine their companies to take on rivals in the growing market for online meal orders. The merger will create a combined company well positioned to drive more orders to restaurants, deliver a better experience for hungry ...
LONDON - The UK housing market seems to be picking up with gross mortgage lending up 4.3 per cent in April over previous month to 12.1 billion pounds, the highest in over four years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). The mortgage lending was 21% higher than April 2012, but this data is skewed by the end of the stamp duty concession on 24 March, 2012. Under the stamp duty ...
Clash of the Titans
Louis Letteriers remake--or reimagining, or whatever-you-want-to-call-it--of 1981s campy mythological mash-up Clash of the Titans is just about what you would expect it to be. Maintaining only the barest of plot threads from Desmond Daviss original, this new cinematic ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
REDMOND, WASHINGTON Microsoft Corp gave the world the first look at its new game console on Tuesday, hoping the Xbox One will attract existing video game fans while also becoming a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation Microsoft console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
DULUTH, Minn. - The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency's citizens board has approved a company's plans to build its fourth iron ore recovery plant on the Iron Range. Tuesday's vote was unanimous. Grand Rapids-based Magnetation plans to build the plant near Coleraine in Itasca County. Magnetation hopes to have the plant up and running by early 2015, eventually producing up to 2 ...
Did I hear right?
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
JW Marriott, Las Vegas Resort, Spa & Golf
This luxury establishment is located in Summerlin, a golfing community about a 15 minute drive northwest of the Las Vegas ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Venezuela StarVenezuela Star | National Venezuela & International News
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Venezuela Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Venezuela news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Venezuelan news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Venezuela news, the weather forecast for Venezuela you'll find it all in the Venezuela Star.
From the Amazon to Valencia, the Venezuela Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Paraguay has become the main destination in South America for used cars from Japan, the US and other countries, thanks to new regulations aimed at making it easier to import automobiles so low-income consumers can purchase vehicles.
Used cars are all the rage in Paraguay, where vehicles that have been shipped from thousands of kilometers away are put to use as soon as they are repaired and made fit for the road.
"No one is dumb and everyone knows that the prices we have are good," used car dealer Francisco Lopez told EFE.
Lopez's Asuncion used car lot features vehicles from Japan, South Korea and the US, with prices starting at 20 million guaranies (about $4,700).
Paraguay imported 3,248 used cars, vans and light trucks in 2003, with imports of used vehicles climbing to 35,048 in 2008 and more than 55,000 last year, said a customs service spokesman.
Imports of new vehicles totaled 28,887 units in 2012, down 1.72 percent from the year before, the Automotive and Machinery Distributors Association, or Cadam, said.
Paraguay imported 23,334 automobiles in the January-March 2013 period, of which 16,161, or 69 percent, were used, the customs service spokesman said.
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Six Afghan policemen killed in Herat bombing
- Genocide conviction of former Guatemala dictator overturned
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- Veena Malik Promotes Zindagi 50-50 by distributing condoms in red light area in Mumbai
- Warner expected to plead guilty for Twitter rant during CA hearing
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- Love scenes are judged Michael Douglas
- Sir Anthony Hopkins joins John Travolta in John Gotti biopic
- The Rob Ford spectacle is incredible and outrageous and his friends need to demand that he do the right thing
- Fabiola Santiago Damas de Blanco are true heroes
- Fallen Agents Remembered for Their “True Valor”
- OUR VIEW Saluting some true heroes
- Remembering Two Fallen Agents The True Meaning of Valor
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- New iPhone App Speeds Care of Heart Attack Victims
- Oklahoma tornado kills 91 toll to rise
- Anabolic-androgenic steroids linked to reduced future mental health
- Lindsay Lohan struggles in rehab
- Caribbean Farming Gets Its Roots Wet
- AES supplies energy at Central Americas and the Caribbean’s most competitive prices
- Xi to visit Latin America and the Caribbean
- Courtyard Port of Spain Partners with Trinidad And Tobago Hospitality And Tourism Institute
- Xi Visits 3 Latin American nations meet Obama in U.S.
- I look forward to wrinkles says Winona Ryder
- Bed sharing with parents raises risk of a baby dying from SIDS fivefold
- Winona Ryder proud of forehead lines
- Relatives turned away from aged care homes after complaining about standards
- Teacher to students ‘We are not dying today’
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Venezuela Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Paraguay becomes South Americas used car paradise
- Venezuela parliament resumes 3 weeks after brawl
- Venezuelan Banker and Miami Brokerage Workers Are Accused of Fraud
- Venezuelan opposition airs conspiracy recordings against Maduro from his own party
- Venezuela Black and Blue